Friday, September 21, 2012

Chinese Knockoffs


In my limited experience here, I have already seen many items for sale that were obviously Chinese knockoffs. China is very label obsessed, especially if the label is in English. For real American goods, one can expect to pay almost triple here what they would normally pay in the United States. This makes things very expensive, as when you compare the United States to China, products in the US are already very high. This means that only the top of the top can afford items with real logos.

However, the lower classes don’t want to be left in the dust fashion wise. So, they improvise. Let’s focus on Ralph Lauren for a moment. To me, a polo is a polo, but for people here, a polo shirt with the polo player over the heart makes it infinitely better. However, those little logos are just so small. How do we make sure people can see that I am supposedly wearing Ralph Lauren? Well, let’s just make the logo five times bigger! 

I also found this website funny. It has many examples of Chinese knockoffs that I have yet to see for myself. 

1 comment:

  1. That guy's shirt is hilarious! I love it. It reminds me of when I was in Mexico. There was a place selling knockoffs of Tommy Hilfiger backpacks and shirts, but somehow they got it wrong and all of the products said "Tommy Halfmaker" instead :)

    ReplyDelete