Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Schedule


I figured that I should take the time to explain what I do every day, as my schedule is not exactly simple.

Monday-Wednesday I go to school Number 7. I have to be there from 8am-5pm. I get picked up at 7:30 in the morning by my regular driver. And when I say driver, I mean, tricycle. It costs me 8 yuan (about $1.25) to go from my house to Number 7. I could take the bus, which costs 1.5 yuan ($0.25), but it is always really crowded, incredibly hot, and I am terrified that I will miss my stop and end up lost in the city. So, I stick with my trike. It is convenient, and gets me to school in a timely manner. I don't know my driver's name, and he regularly tries to talk to me in Chinese and somehow hasn't figured out that I have no idea what he is saying. However, he is one of the safest drivers that I've seen. 

Each morning I teach my 6th graders at the elementary school. I have six different classes, each with about 32 students, that I teach once a week.

I then teach 10th grade US History, and 11th grade ESL. The ESL class is divided into two groups: A group for the advanced students, and B group for the not-so-advanced. The A class and B class meet together on Tuesdays so that they can work on projects together.


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
1
8:10-8:50
ESL
Grade 6 – Class 7
ESL
Grade 6 – Class 6
ESL
Grade 6–Class 12
2
9:00-9:40
ESL
Grade 6 – Class 8
ESL
Grade 6 – Class 5
ESL
Grade 6–Class 11
3
10:00-10:40



4
10:50-11:30
History
Grade 10

ESL
11B
5
11:40-12:20
History
Grade 10
History
Grade 10
ESL
11A
Lunch
12:20-1:20



Tutoring
1:20-2:30
English Lab
English Lab
English Lab
6
2:30-3:10
ESL
11A

History
Grade 10
7
3:25-4:05
ESL
11B
ESL
11A/11B

8
4:15-4:55




When I am not teaching, I am working at my desk. Right now, I spend time creating the curriculum and writing lesson plans. However, in a few weeks when I get the hang of how everything works, I know that I am going to have a ton of time on my hands. This is where Netflix becomes my best friend.

On Thursdays I go to school Number 4 a.k.a. Shishi High school. The company car picks me up from the apartment at 8, and I get to the school at 9. I teach two classes of 11th grade ESL in the morning, and two classes of 10th grade ESL in the afternoon. One of the other foreign teachers teaches these classes on all of the other days of the week. I only teach on Thursdays to cover the culture lessons in the textbook.

On Friday I go back to Number 7. I have no classes on Fridays, but I still have to show up for school. I only have to be in my office from 8:30-12:00 as all of the students leave at noon to go home and we all get half days. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, "I get picked up at 7:30 in the morning by my regular driver. And when I say driver, I mean, tricycle." That's hilarious! How on earth did you arrange for a driver? How is it always the same guy? That is so random, but it looks fun. That just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are so crazy awesome. Korea I got so lost on the buses. The tricycle thingy looks SIC. I want one of those to go to school. Good luck with your classes! -Corrie

    ReplyDelete