Thursday, September 13, 2012

Classrooms There and Here


In the United States, each teacher has a designated classroom, and the students rotate from room to room. In China, things are backwards. The students have an assigned room, and the teachers rotate from room to room.
This has both its advantages and its disadvantages.

On the positive side, this means that students can’t use the excuse, “I didn’t have enough time to get here on time from my other class!” Also, it gets rid of the necessity for lockers, as students can keep all of their belongings with them in their classroom. This cuts down on excuses like, “I forgot my textbook” or “My pencil broke, and now I don’t have anything to write with.” Students can save money on backpacks as well since they don’t have to take their books and supplies from room to room.

On the negative side, it means that teachers can’t have a room of their own. They are unable to decorate the walls of the room and no longer have constant computer access during class. Also, during the 10-15 minute passing time, they can’t really do much. If I were in the United States, I would take that time to sit down at my desk, work on a few things at the computer, or just sit and rest. Here, however, I just get to stand out in the hallway until the bell rings and I can enter my next classroom.

Luckily, when I am teaching my 10th and 11th graders at #7 I have my own classroom. There was an extra room on our floor in the international department, so it has been designated the Humanities Room. I haven’t decorated it yet, as I am still working on getting supplies, but it is nice to have. I have enjoyed writing things on the blackboard, and then coming back the next day and having it still be there.



Oh yeah…remember how I mentioned that students have all of their supplies with them at all times? 


Here you can see one of my sixth graders. Yes, this elementary student has a mountain of books on her desk, as well as more books in her desk. 
To the left is my 11th grade ESL student Justin. Next to him you can see the piles and piles of books that each student is responsible for. On the right you can see ONE student's supplies. Notice that her big plastic bin is filled, as is her desk. It is a bit ridiculous how much work these students have to do.






1 comment:

  1. Holy cow. I could use those books to raise my bed...and still have some left over to store under my bed!

    ReplyDelete