Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chinese Take-Out

There is a little restaurant just around the corner from my apartment. My coworker said it is safe to eat there (safe, as in, they actually wash their dishes and properly cook their meat, so I won't get sick), so I have visited it a few times. 

This is the outside of the restaurant. I have no idea what it says. For all I know, the Chinese characters you see could just be the address and phone number of the place. 

 One of the girls from church gave me this handy little book that has a bunch of phrases written out in Chinese. It makes it so I can just point to what I want, rather than attempt to sound out Chinese words.  There is a section for travel, one for food, and others for dealing with money. In the photo on the right, about half way down the page, you can see "Chicken with peanuts." That is what I always order.



This is the menu (I think). It is on every table, but I have no idea what it says.
I wish I knew what other dishes they served, but I'm too afraid to randomly point out something on the menu. With my luck, I'd end up with a bowl of something still alive in front of me. 
This is the inside of the restaurant. It gets pretty full in the late evening. 
This is what my meal looked like. 
It is really spicy, but quite delicious. 
And, the best part? It is only 20 RMB (or $3.18).

 At the table next to me, there was a table full of people. Notice the man in the white shirt with his back to me has a cigarette in his hand. It is really strange how people here smoke EVERYWHERE. And almost everyone smokes. It is disgusting. 
 In this photo you can kind of see the kitchen in the back ground. 
 A few weeks ago I didn't want to cook, but I wanted to stay in my apartment. So, I went to the restaurant and ordered my food to go. This is what I got. What you see below is real Chinese take-out. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm still sad that we never actually got Chinese takeout together...

    ReplyDelete