Sunday, October 7, 2012

Strange Cargo

I  have seen some strange things here in Chengdu. 

Many of those strange things have been on the back of trucks or carts. 

Sadly, most of the strange things I see are only in sight for a few seconds, 
so I am unable to snap a photo of it. 

When I think about needing to transport boxes of items I picture renting a U-Haul truck. 
But not here. 
Most of the trucks I've seen are not covered. 
You can see which trucks are transporting televisions, which have fruit, 
which have furniture, and which have nothing. 

This can be problematic, as it rains here. A lot. 
Truck drivers tend to just throw a tarp over their cargo and expect everything to arrive in one piece. 
Also, all of the trucks tend be really old and look like they are about to fall apart. 

While some of the larger companies use these gross looking trucks, the smaller vendors tend to move merchandise by scooter or bicycle. 

I have seen a man riding a bike that was pulling a trailer full of boxes piled 10+ feet high, with his two little children sitting on top. 
I have seen a little boy eating a bowl of noodles while sitting between his father's feet who was driving a scooter zipping in and out of traffic.
I have seen a HUGE dump truck full of scraps of what looked like crepe paper driving down the street. 
I have seen trailer after trailer filled with strange looking fruit on its way to the market. 

I am surprised that the people transporting the goods do not leave a trail of garbage on the street as generally items are not strapped down as well as they should. 


No comments:

Post a Comment