Sunday, October 21, 2012

Grade 6 Part I

While I spend my late mornings and afternoons teaching at the high school,
I teach in the elementary school first thing each morning.
I have six different classes of sixth graders, each class with 26-32 students. 
I haven't even attempted to learn their names because 1) Most don't have English names (and I'm not about to learn their Chinese ones) and 2) there are just too many students, and I only see them once a week, so it wouldn't be worth it. 

Each day when I walk in they all stand up, bow, and say "Good morning Miss Howlett!"
They also stand up whenever I call on them to answer a question.
I have tried to tell them that in my class they do not need to get out of their seat each time they speak, but they just don't listen. 

The elementary students are respectful and pay attention to the lesson. 
Usually. 
There have been a few times where I've had to go get their regular Chinese teacher to yell at them so that I could get through my lesson. 

There is an official school uniform, but some students don't wear it.
I don't really understand the point of a uniform if it's not enforced...
Last week I saw a large box in the corner of the classroom. 
I asked my students what was in it, and this little girl walked over, opened the box, and pulled an accordion out. The then began to play it. She was really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment