Saturday, October 13, 2012

Random Things

Since I've arrived in China, I've seen some really random things. 
Instead of devoting one post to each photo, I'll save time by putting all of them together. 

A few weeks ago I walked to the market looking for a broom. 
I found myself in the movie and music section, where I quickly discovered that Justin Bieber is just as big here as in the United States. And, although Avril is no longer all that popular in the US, she is still huge here. When I first arrived here, all of my students kept asking me what kind of music I listen to. They seemed to get disappointed when I didn't say "Avril Lavigne of course!"

 While I was at the corner market, I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, a chocolate chip cookie sounds really good to me right about now." So, I bought a small package. What I saw once I opened the box was definitely not the kind of chocolate chip cookie I am familiar with. It doesn't look anything like the picture on the package!!
 This is a baby carrier. I had never seen one like this. Most baby carriers that I've seen force babies to sleep upright. But this one allows the parent to easily carry the child, while allowing the baby to sleep laying flat. 
 For some reason I thought that the practice of backcombing and teasing hair to make it bigger was a western practice. However, this girl proved to me that my thinking was wrong. This girls head is very, very small, but her hair makes it seem enormous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment